Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Post 20: The Cabinet of Curiosities


  I spent a whole day working on this composition, working from my vast library of images of my collections, mixed with some pictures collected on the Internet, and am pretty happy with the result. Once upon a time, when I had boundless energy, and still had hopes of recognition as a painter, I would have made it into a painting, which probably would have taken me months to complete, and would most likely be in my collection...Just too weird to sell, there are not enough weirdos with money out there to buy my work! Plus I have become lazy, and spending months pushing a paint brush to more or less reproduce this image does not seem worthwhile anymore... I am digressing...
  Anyhow,the composition was built in Photoshop using png files, and each object is on a separate layer, so the whole thing can be opened in After Effects, and the objects animated individually.
  I can think of a number of things to do: start with empty shelves , and either have the objects appear magically and fall in place, may be even jumping from one slot to another. Or the mechanical hand could move them. We could have a "Nutcracker" kind of sequence where they come alive at night, move, turn and talk. That would probably require some stop motion animation for some of them, or at least using the puppet tool. 

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour Jean-Jacques,
    C'est magnafique! J'habite a Chicago.

    Your cabinet of curiosities is absolutely exquisite. Fabulous job.
    Thank you for this!

    Peace,
    LuLu-too-beaucoup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete