Wednesday, February 2, 2011

POST 17: Fifth "Transformation" as a "Faux Marble Italianate Church Altar"


   I have been up since 5 o'clock this morning putting this one together, and it was again great fun looking for and choosing all the pieces of the puzzle from my numerous collection of Religious Art pictures. I didn't make anything up, and I hope our traditional Southern Baptists don't see it as sacrilegious...Italians would probably understand it better.
   As some of you may already know, the three main figures come from the most famous painting by Jan Van Eyck: the Ghent's Cathedral "Altarpiece of the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb". I just slightly "super sized" Adam and Eve, the American way...
  The Sacrificial Lamb is an "Agnus Dei" by Zurbaran. The statues on each side of the Altar are Judith holding the head of Holophernes and her servant(the servant is always there so as not to get her confused with Salome holding the head of John the Baptist, a theme I actually recently treated photographically in my recent "Self Portraits Gaga" Series.
  I am not sure yet what is going to happen in front of this altar. I could see Judith do a little Salome Dance, the candles burn out, the red drape catch on fire,the dead bishop get up and leave,my mechanical puppet celebrating mass, the dog jump down, the doves shot down, etc...I won't even mention actually sacrificing the Lamb and blood running down the Altar...You may think of better gags too, I am open to any suggestions...

No comments:

Post a Comment