Saturday, August 11, 2012

53: Dealing with Finicky After Effects 3D Function

     I wasted most of my week trying to get my After Effects Project set up to produce a better high definition version of this low res test  picture I did in the fall as a demo:
    When I finally got the Key picture of the facade the whole Architectural mapping would be based on, I started cutting it up and  putting every single part of it on a separate layer in Photoshop:
  I ended up with about 250 layers: 5 rows of 11 "brick drawers", 26 or so columns, bases, thick and thin tops, thick and thin lintels, 8 light cans, 6 niches, window panes, doors, sidewalk, awning, planters, trash can, etc...
  To that will be added 20 or 30 "objects". 
  All those layers will have to be imported SEPARATELY into After Effects. I tried to import the Photoshop file, and it "kinda worked" at first. I renamed them without the long Imported Titles. 
  In order to animate all of those Architectural Components in 3D and spin them in space realistically, each "drawer" and column front face needs to be Precomposed with a back, 2 sides, a top and a bottom. The final 280 or so "precompositions" will be animated in the timeline.
  I did my best, but then later down the line, shadows just would not render properly. I wasted days trying to make it work, and finally gave up.
  So I just rebuilt the picture from scratch using only the elements needed, making sure asI added elements that the shadows worked, and will deliver it in time for publication in UAB Magazine next week...  It is getting close:

No comments:

Post a Comment