Sunday, July 22, 2012

Post 48: EL suits and Light Dancing

   Then I ran into a dance video on You Tube done by a Russian group that absolutely blew me away. The dancers wear black suits with EL wire stitched to it, and dance in the dark. The effect is amazing, it is pure magic, check it out for yourself:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX2TnaZ3LoU&feature=related
 
  A few people have other less sophisticated videos on YouTube, but this is pretty Avant Garde  still, so  I feel it is definitely a MAJOR "Point of Light"  we need to have in our Light Dreams Festival. Nothing could be more fitting: never seen before in Birmingham as far as I know, new technology applied to  dance, an Art Form as old as the world, high entertaining value, a dynamic "Point of Light" next to the static ones, a huge Whaoooo factor...
  Cirque du Soleil uses some similar suits in their Michael Jackson show:
 I have already ordered a full black Zentai suit and 80 ft of EL wire, LED glasses and gloves to make an experimental costume. There are several suppliers of EL wire on the Internet, the best of which seems to be:
                Thatscoolwire.com
   I have also contacted my long time dancer and choreographer friend Mary Foshee, and keep my fingers crossed she gets on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment